Friday 28 May 2010

Who is a whiz kids?




I just wanted to my child memory and my memory can be an example for the text of Ted Gup. He mentioned about the stereotyping in his text.

My memory is about my slant eye. I have slant eyes and everybody says me that I looked like an Asian people until when I was young. Also, I have lots of nickname such as Tatarcık, Nigerian, Japan, Korean, Goldenfish especially when I was young (also, japonbalığı is the turkish name of Goldenfish) During the primary school time, the children ,who were in my school , jumped in front of me with action like making karate and started to shout 'hiaaaaa' like Bruce Lee. Then, they said that ; 'you are a Japan, so you know karate. Teach us...' and then I answered them 'I am not Japan, I am Turk' but I always thought if I were a Japan, do I need to know karate? or every Japan have to know fight techniques. Asians fights are their custom like folkdance. I am Turks and Turkey has kinds of folkdance but I did just know one,this was the dance of Blacksea region.

Besides my memory, Ted Gup tells stereotypes in his text which is called Who is a whiz kid? He mentioned that when a person saw a child, person thought what this child will be in the future according to the country of child. then he illustrated this thought with his children who was adopted from Asian country. He tells that when people see the Asian kids, they think they are good at math but maybe child will interested in bugs like the son of Author and yong man will be good at biology.

1 comment:

  1. wow...I can't believe people behave so igorantly! 'slant eyes' is a very racist insult in English. :((

    I personally think you are astoundingly beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete